Old July 14th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Weight of tamdem versus two solo bikes

On 7/14/2020 1:42 AM, bob prohaska wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 1:09:11 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:

Wouldn't a ballasted swagger stick be more useful? At least it
allows multiple defensive attempts.

Others pointed out that's likely to throw the rider off balance,
perhaps get in the spokes and cause a crash, and is unlikely to deter
the dog because of limited range.

For the case of a solo rider, I agree entirely.

In the context of a tandem, I'd think the stoker would have considerably
more latitude for distraction. Never having _been_ a stoker on a tandem,
my comments are entirely speculative.....

I haven't been a stoker on a tandem since my first try over 40 years
ago. I managed to steer the tandem into a ditch from the rear seat.

When I get a new stoker, I always emphasize the need to stay still
except for pedaling. It can be unsettling if the stoker moves around too
much. Same thing for a person riding behind on a motorcycle.

--
- Frank Krygowski