Old March 13th 17, 10:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default More About Lights

On 2017-03-10 19:40, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 7:52:30 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
With or without dynamo I'll never ride without a battery
because then it's lights out when waiting at an intersection.
Very bad at night.

Now, about the bicycle air conditioner ... :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Most decent dynamo ights these days have a standlight that'll run
for several minutes when the bicycle is stopped.

I have seen that in Germany. Standlight was very dim though. I
prefer it to be lit normal like it is on my bikes.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You need to look again at more modern stuff because many dynamo hub
standlights are quite bright for the time they stay on usually a ferw
minutes or so if needed. But then again absolutely NOTHING ever works
for you off the shelf.

Wrong, it does and I have written about it here in the NG. I bought a
Cree XM-L based light each for the road bike and the MTB. Of course,
since almost nothing in the world of cycling is very robust or complete
this had to be spiced up. Both lights got diffusor lenses because they
will otherwise blind others and the light distribution wasn't to my
liking. Big deal, you just buy diffusor lenses and install them. Then
the battery holders are lousy. This took a little more work but nothing
that can't be done with a trip to the hardware store and basic hand tools:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Battbox2.JPG

Why would I want inferior light when I can have a Cree XM-L that affords
me almost the same quality light as a motorcycle has?

This light doesn't just offer a few minutes of "standlight", it offers
north of five hours of light at full blast, whether the bike move or
not. I also have a power outlet on the bike.

Hmm, I've managed without a battery box, outlet and motorcycle light on a
road bike for like 50 years. I was riding up and down narrow canyons and
city streets today without so much as a blinky. The one car that pulled
out in even a semi-perilous fashion did so while looking straight at my
son and me. No question of our location on the road. I get cars doing
the same thing when I'm in a car. They think they can beat you into traffic.

You gotta love the way he starts out telling Sir that Sir is wrong and then
doing exactly what Sir said that he does. :-)

I seem to get by with off the shelf equipment though I readily admit that I
haven't seen a mountain lion in ages.

--
duane