Old May 4th 05, 09:01 AM
Tony Raven

RG wrote:

We felt that the severity of some of the route, especially in the Peak
District and up to about Hebden Bridge could frighten people off if they
tried to ride the routes - more published information on the climbs (and
steep descents) etc would be a good idea.

The route has been very controversial in mountain biking circles - large
sections of classic routes have been sanitised to make them easy for
leisure cyclists and horses. The Mary Townley loop was a wake up call
which went, for proficient mountain bikers, from an interesting and
technical ride to a boring fire road. I with others and IMBA put a lot
of effort into the Hayfield sections with the Countryside Agency and
Derbyshire Council and ended up with a classic route (the Hayfield Loop)
which while wrecked was at least still interesting to ride. The
contractors and officials had about as much idea as most city cycle
planners seem to have about what is needed and were gayly planning to
set up massive user conflicts by lack of understanding of trail
requirements. However they were at least prepared to discuss, listen
and learn. Our suggestion of signing alternative road routes though
wasn't taken up as far as I know but please don't encourage Sustrans and
others to wreck routes that are much enjoyed by many cyclists to make
them accessible to the lowest common denominator cyclists.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)