Old December 3rd 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Cone wrench for freehub body?

On 2019-12-03 11:26, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/3/2019 1:10 PM, Joerg wrote:
The new rear wheel was supposed to have the usual 10mm Allen
inside to remove the freehub. Said the dealer. However, when
I lubed the bearings I saw none of that, just a much bore
hole with wide long splines deep down in there (of course I
forgot to snap a photo ...). I wrote to the dealer and now
they say I'd need "some specific sized cone wrench". Could
not find much on the Internet and I wouln't know how a cone
wrench could possibly be used.

Does anyone know of an alternate mounting system versus the
usual 10mm hex? If so, can that still take Shimano freehubs?

The main raason I ask is that freehubs only last
5000-10000mi with me. Lots of hills, heavy loads. Having to
throw out the whole rear wheel would be sad.

There are several. What hub is it?

It's a Weinmann hub, nothing fancy. This wheel is on my road bike now.
The only way to make this freehub (barely) fit the old frame was to use
the last cog as a sacrificial one.

Some use a large allen from the left side. Some take proprietary tools.

All I could see was a hollow shaft of probably 12mm diameter (a 10mm hex
wrench would fall through) with some splines inside.

On my MTB I had a similar situation even though that has the 10mm hex. A
Formula DC-30 hub, and it would not come off. The LBS owner is a very
muscular guy and even he could not make it turn. So they gave me a whole
new rear wheel under warranty. That freehub didn't even come close to
5000mi.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/