Old December 28th 04, 11:03 PM

PSB wrote:
Learning toward one or the other for buying a new dept store bicycle.

know what to look for when it comes to assembling them. The bike is
going to be used as a commuter. The Huffy's are about 30 dollars

cheaper
and both have Shamino gears. Just curious if I should spend the 30

bucks
more for a Schwinn or not. If you are going to reply that I should

buy
from an LBS, save your bandwidth.

So which would you recommend?

Neither. As commuters, they would probably do OK. But they are cheap
junk, and possibly like throwing money away. If you search in this
newsgroup for "Carl Fogel" "Roadmaster" and "Fury", you will find the
saga of a cheap dept. store bike.

You /should/ buy from your LBS. But not a new bike. A used one. A
decent, well-maintained, used bike can cost only a bit more than a new
dept. store bike-shaped toy, and is likely to have better components.
This means that you might get more life out of your used bike than you
would out of a new bike-shaped toy from some *Mart.

Locally, the LBSs have quite a bit of used inventory that they are
willing to make deals on because in our corner of North America, it's
winter, and bikes don't sell well here in the winter.
Good luck.

HAND,

E.P.