Old May 20th 15, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Cyclist dies on unroadworthy wreck.

On 20/05/2015 17:54, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:37, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:15, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:39, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:23, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:01, RJH wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door
opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of machine and
its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

The school run is a bad time for cyclists, and I suspect anybody
on or
near roads. I give cars a very wide berth at those times.

Just out of interest, how would you 'notice the likelihood of a car
door
opening'? It's one of these things I cycle in anticipation of, and it
happens once or twice a year. Never hit yet, but I've come close.

I met a bloke who got caught - left him severely epileptic. Better
than
the poor sod in your link though.

As the woman had only just pulled up it is very likely that an
observant
road user would have seen her do so, and given a wide berth for the
very
likely possibility of a door opening. Using a recumbent on the road
increases the difficulties of vision both by the cyclist and of the
cyclist, therefore the cyclist should have been taking even greater
care
than a 'normal' cyclist to maintain safe speed and position while
going
past a recently stopped car.

You're STILL siding with the driver.
She admitted that she had already clipped a bin with her wing mirror
before she got out. The woman is obviously a careless driver.
There's no other way to look at it, the accident *wouldn't* have
happened if she'd looked properly.
She was found guilty, end of story.

Most collisions occur when more than one road user makes a mistake, just
as in this case.

*She* was the *only* one found guilty.

Not so, the cyclist was found to be guilty of riding an unroadworthy
machine, he was not dealt with by the courts for a simple reason, can
you guess what it was?

He remained silent when questioned? ;-)