Old May 20th 15, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default Cyclist dies on unroadworthy wreck.

On 20/05/2015 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of machine and its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

Hmm! The lady said "Mrs Jackson said: “I consider myself to be a
careful and competent driver. I feel very sorry that the cyclist died
but don’t think there’s anything I could have done different to avoid
this accident.”

How about looking before opening her door?
She *obviously* caused the accident by her
carelessness.

Recumbents are very low to the ground and would be easy to miss with a
quick glance in a mirror.

Bicycles are ridiculous vehicles anyway and recumbent are utterly
ridiculous.

The cyclist was also careless, he would have seen the vehicle stop and
would know that the likelihood is that a door will open soon after, he
failed to allow enough room or stopping distance to avoid the
possibility, his machine was of such a type and in such poor condition
that he left it all too late to slow, stop or otherwise avoid the
obvious obstacle.

It's called hazard awareness and is part of the car driving test. High
time cyclists had to pass a test.