Old May 20th 15, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Cyclist dies on unroadworthy wreck.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 20/05/2015 15:39, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:23, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:01, RJH wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of machine and
its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

The school run is a bad time for cyclists, and I suspect anybody on or
near roads. I give cars a very wide berth at those times.

Just out of interest, how would you 'notice the likelihood of a car
door
opening'? It's one of these things I cycle in anticipation of, and it
happens once or twice a year. Never hit yet, but I've come close.

I met a bloke who got caught - left him severely epileptic. Better than
the poor sod in your link though.

As the woman had only just pulled up it is very likely that an observant
road user would have seen her do so, and given a wide berth for the very
likely possibility of a door opening. Using a recumbent on the road
increases the difficulties of vision both by the cyclist and of the
cyclist, therefore the cyclist should have been taking even greater care
than a 'normal' cyclist to maintain safe speed and position while going
past a recently stopped car.

You're STILL siding with the driver.
She admitted that she had already clipped a bin with her wing mirror
before she got out. The woman is obviously a careless driver.
There's no other way to look at it, the accident *wouldn't* have
happened if she'd looked properly.
She was found guilty, end of story.

Not only did he fail to use anticipation and observation skills, he was
riding a dangerous vehicle;

"John Gore, an authorised vehicle examiner, agreed he could not find any
marks or defects on Mrs Jackson’s vehicle that could have contributed or
caused the collision.

He did however say the bike Mr Hamilton was riding, made in the early
1970s, was not well maintained as the tyre tread was worn so much you
could see the inner fabric and the brakes did not work well."

Clear evidence that cyclists should have to take a test and subject push
bikes to MOT tests. A car driver at 76 would have to re take his test.

You beat me to that.
He obviously over reacted and the dangerous tyre and defective brakes
contributed to him falling off his bicycle.
Him being 76 did not help.