Old April 17th 12, 11:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default rain

Ages ago I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Cycl...-/300511747403
for use on the Brom in the rain. The idea being that it should give
enough protection on the short journeys I do on the Brom while being
easy to remove when off the bike. The way rain pants aren't....

Even though there has been a lot of plumetting precipitation since I
bought it, I haven't been riding the Brom when it's been raining.
Combination of good timing and general wimpishness I guess. When it's
your shopping trolley you can choose to shop when the weather's good!

I got to try it yesterday, and I can report it works well. I got a
little damp around the feet but only a little. I was worried about
hand signals, and they are a bit tricky as you have to slip your arm
out through a slit in the cape at elbow height so you only get an
elbow's worth. But the drivers acted as if they saw them which is all
that matters.

This version has a hood with clear plastic panels so you can do head
checks, I found if I had the hood under the helmet but pushed back a
bit I didn't need to use the clear plastic, I could see well enough
but not get water down my neck.

The idea is that you have the cape over the bars (held there by an
elastic strap so you can get your arm out through the slit without the
cape coming loose), you get a better idea from
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Women-Men...-/251031935277

Mine isn't as large as that, but it gives reasonable coverage on the
Brompton.

yes, a rain cape is very old-fart. Plus it works best on sit up and
beg bikes, but the Brompton is that for me given my height. You do
get a bit of a sail effect too, so if speed is your thing it won't
work.

Bods in the UK who use them say that in traffic and heavyish rain you
need some kind of protector on the lower legs or you get wet from car
splash.

Because you get airflow and it isn't all around you like a jacket is,
I was surprised at how cool it was, not sweaty or muggy at all.

Given the rain outside and the 20km commute, pity it won't work on the
'bent. I will have to do what I usually do on the commute: get wet.
Must pack a spare set of riding clothing for the ride home.

If my commute was short enough that I wore my work clothes while
riding, then this would be a very useful bit of kit. Maybe topped off
by a set of bushie's sock/boot protectors to keep the lower legs
dry.

I will be using it to get to the station on the days I multi-mode to
work, that's for sure.

Zebee