Old May 21st 20, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:31:18 PM UTC+1, Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:

There was some sort of tire advertisement in that shop and the tires had
some thick blue rubber under the normal tread. They were poked full of
tacks and none of them punctured the tire. It was some sort of commuter tire.

That’s the Marathon plus range, they do also do road range, I’ve used them
and family from 25mm to 55mm they do what you’d expect, ie long life and
near bomb proof, ie broken glass is a none issue and so on.

Roger Merriman

I've hidden only Schwalbe Marathon tyres for over twenty years. The range is hew-yuge ranging from the bumbuster but virtually bombproof Marathon Plus, a huge favourite with commuters into broken bottle strewn city streets, through to the Big Apple which is actually a Marathon Big Apple, a large low-pressure, soft-riding balloon tyre. In between are all kinds tyres for various purposes, of which I know about the touring ones because the large conference of touring bicyclists I hang out with swear by them. But there's probably half a dozen Marathon Xxxxx types for touring alone. All that the Marathons have in common is that they have puncture protection of various kinds*, and are made with long-lasting compounds, again of various kinds at various prices. You need to know what you want before you start shopping Schwalbe's Marathon lines, plural.

You can read about my Marathon tyres in "In praise of riding low pressure tyres fast" at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....16360#msg16360
There is also much on Marathon Supremes and Marathon Duremes and other Schwalbe Marathon tyres in the long thread that follows my opening post.

Andre Jute
* Actually, there was once a Marathon Big Apple balloon intended for racing; it didn't have the puncture protection but was amazingly light.