Old May 5th 05, 12:52 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 04 May 2005 15:56:28 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

With the DuraAce 9-speed triple (with 52/39/30), Shimano tried to get around
this by cutting down the profile of the teeth on the middle chainring.
Unfortunately, it was/is legendary for dumping the chain off the middle
chainring as you're "just riding along." The shifting was terrible compared
to the Ultegra 52/42/30. However, for the new Ultegra 10, they seem to have
gotten their act together and the 52/39/30 shifts quite nicely. Dramatic
improvement. But it also has a highly-convoluted middle chainring that would
be difficult to duplicate with your dremel tool, *and* will probably wear
out more quickly too.

Please note these problems are exacerbated by STI shifting, which doesn't
allow you to control the shifting process as much as Ergo or friction.
They're also far pickier about chain choice and, I daresay, if you're using
an SRAM chain, you may have better results with a Shimano.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike, the DA 9-speed triple 7703 has a 53t large chainring. So, you
have 53/39/30.

I have about 3700 miles on my DA crankset and I have never had it dump
off from the middle chainring. Is this a problem that shows up with
use and wear, or if it is going to be a problem, does it happen right
from new?

One more thing to worry about?

Life is Good!
Jeff