Old March 26th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

Default Long Beach CA bikie culture

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:40:52 -0700, Claire wrote:

I was in Long Beach CA yesterday, and I thought the bikie culture there
was interesting.

It definitely exists, but it's Japanese-style, as opposed to PNW- style.
In other words, people ride - but mostly on the sidewalk, no helmet, at
relatively slow speeds. I saw only one person looking like someone
around here - with panniers, riding in the street with the other
vehicles. I saw lots of riders, though, and bikes parked in front of
stores and public facilities. They claim the first Bikestation in the
country.

Anyone from Southern California have comments?

A lot of people in southern CA beach towns seem to use a hybrid
sidewalk/street/bikepath riding style, whatever suits them at the time.
More accomplished/confident/faster riders will use the street, while the
more casual riders on beach cruisers, etc. will use the sidewalk. To the
horror of the anal-retentive Forresterite bike advocates out there, it
works. I was back in Newport Beach this summer for a few weeks, and it was
great to see so many people on bikes again, riding all over the place.
Bikes and bike culture are definitely back!

Matt O.