Old June 13th 19, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Crossing at pedestrian walk

On 6/12/2019 9:27 PM, AK wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 8:19:52 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2019 6:38 PM, AK wrote:
Sometimes when I need to go some places where it is safer to ride on the sidewalk for a short distance and cross at a cross walk with the pedestrian signal . (It's ok where I live in Texas).

Since most people do NOT look right before turning on a red light, I do the following:

1. I wave at them to make sure they see me, then cross.

2. If they have dark windows, I do not cross if someone is turning right

3. I also watch the other cars turning right. (Not sure if their light is red?)

3. I have my headlight flashing at all times

Thinking if keeping my rear lights flashing would help in any situations.

A lot depends on how fast you're entering the intersection. Are you
stopping, or slowing to walking speed well before proceeding? If not,
you're still at increased risk unless there's nobody around - and if
there were nobody around, you probably ought to be in the street anyway.

Motorists turning left into the street are also a hazard. So are ones
driving straight across into it. And if you're busy looking back,
motorists approaching from your right might be surprised by your speed,
too.

There are a couple sidewalks I use regularly for very short distances,
so I don't say "never ride sidewalks." But there's a lot to watch for.
They're actually more complicated (and have worse crash data) than most
roads.

--
- Frank Krygowski

They are more complicated, but I am super careful.

I ride expecting most drivers to be inattentive, inconsiderate, and with slightly lower IQs.

Yep. Fully half of them are below average!

--
- Frank Krygowski