Old June 13th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

Default Crossing at pedestrian walk

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:19:52 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Motorists turning left into the street are also a hazard. So are ones
driving straight across into it. And if you're busy looking back,
motorists approaching from your right might be surprised by your speed,
too.

In 30+ years of commuting, I've been hit twice. Both times, the driver was coming from the opposite direction and turned left in front of me.

There are a couple sidewalks I use regularly for very short distances,
so I don't say "never ride sidewalks." But there's a lot to watch for.
They're actually more complicated (and have worse crash data) than most
roads.

I'll occasionally use a sidewalk. There are a few intersections on my commute where the road is rather narrow. There isn't enough of a shoulder to pass on the right, and too much traffic from the other direction to pass on the left (not to mention that's illegal 'round these parts). In those cases I hop the curb up to the intersection. And yes, I wait for the green light to cross the intersection