Old December 18th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: It's groggy out

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:26:09 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/17/2017 2:49 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:15:16 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Snow season started last Monday, and I'm shut in until after New
Year's. I hope I get my alpaca tights darned by then.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to drive the car once in a while to build
up my rotator cuff. At the moment, I can ride much farther than I
dare to drive.

Or I could have a week ago . . .

Isn't there some sort of recovery exercises or stretches for rotator
cuff rehabilitation? Years ago I had what was referred to as a "frozen
shoulder" and had to go to the clinic every morning at about 08:00
where a nice young Siri Lankan girl would move my shoulder further and
further every day.

And when I'd scream she'd say something like "You can tell its doing
good when it hurts" :-)

I had painful shoulder problems many years ago, and they recurred this
year, badly enough to keep me awake at night. Both times they responded
very well to simple exercises. This time, I'm continuing the exercises
(almost) every evening for maintenance.

I'm stretching a Theraband looped over a doorknob. With my elbow bent 90
degrees and held against my hip, I do ten internal 180 degree rotations
of my forearm (i.e. rotating my forearm from straight out until it
contacts my belt) and ten external rotations (the opposite motion). Then
ten 90 degree abductions of my straight arm, from hanging vertical to
straight out. (I think I have the terms right.)

For me, anyway, these work very well.

In my case it was basically short tendons. It hurt to move my shoulder
so I didn't move it and as because I didn't move it the tendons that
hold the joint together shortened and then of course it hurt to move
it so I didn't move it...

The cure was to move the arm, and thus the shoulder joint, until
normal motion, in all planes, was recovered.

The worst was a compound movement with the forearm bent up behind my
back and then the forearm-upper arm package rotated around the
shoulder.

But you are right in that, particularly as one ages, stretching
exercises really do become important if only to let us maintain
"normal" flexibility. I suspect that a lot of people who have limited
movement and blame it on the arthritis, or whatever, would probably
benefit greatly from an exercise and stretching program.

--
Cheers,

John B.