Old February 1st 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

Default Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

Quoth Stephen Greenwood:
I've got a worn 7-speed Hyperglide-C cassette that was used on a
Hyperglide-C style freehub body, where the splines don't quite go all
the way to the outer edge of the freehub body. I'd like to replace it
with a cassette from a bike that I recently found in a dumpster. That
cassette is a Hyperglide unit, found mounted on an older Hyperglide
freehub body where the splines do go all the way to the edge.

The problem is that the smallest cog has no splines to engage.SheldonBrownexplains (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html) how one can add
a 1mm spacer to use a Hyperglide-C cassette on the older Hyperglide
body. Since I want to do the opposite (Hyperglide cassette on
Hyperglide-C body), it seems like a -1 mm spacer would be required.
Those don't exist of course, but it happens that my cassette already
has some spacers. If I replace the existing spacers with one fewer mm
worth of spacers, will that work?

The smallest sprocket has to have a built-in spacer, and there should
be splines in the spacer.

Sure it isn't an 8-speed cassette you're trying to put onto a 7-speed
body?

Sheldon "K7" Brown
| The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, |
| as well as the poor, to sleep under the bridges, |
| to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. |
| --Anatole France |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide