Old August 14th 19, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 7:00:36 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
The issue is that finding the older chains in a shop is often not easy
since 5 and 6 speed freewheels haven't been used in a long time. So
often they'll sell naive customers a 7 or 8 speed narrower chain and
assure them that it'll work fine.

It's not just the shops that take this attitude. AFAIK, Shimano's only current chain for 6 and 7 speed, are 8-speed chains (CN-HG40, CN-HG71) that are labelled as being for 6/7/8 speeds.

I suppose that being Hyperglide chains, Shimano only intends for them to be used with 6/7/8 speed Hyperglide sprockets. I guess Hyperglide's ramps take over the role of protruding pins snagging adjacent sprockets when shifting.