Old October 1st 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

On 9/30/2020 6:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/30/2020 7:24 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:49:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not denying the popularity of the AR style. I'm
explaining it, and
how silly it is, and how detrimental to society.

You are explaining it??? Frank, you have demonstrated over
and over
that you don't know enough about firearms to explain
anything.

I'm explaining that the overall configuration of AR style
rifles is optimized for man-killing duty. It is light weight
and compact for rapid movement during combat. It can accept
large magazines, can be quickly reloaded, uses lighter
ammunition so more rounds can be carried and shot. It has
other features (like pistol grip) that allow quick motion
and aiming in cluttered combat situations (as opposed to
open field shooting at a distance).

I'm saying that few of those features are optimum for what
most people claim as their intended use of guns. ARs are not
the best gun for hunting anything from deer to mountain
goats to squirrels to ducks to chipmunks. They are not the
best gun for hitting a bullseye at a target range. They are
not the best gun for home defense.

They are popular mostly because they look like badass guns,
so Walter Mitty buys one to feel manly. And a few whackos
like them because they're really good at killing lots of
people in schools, churches, night clubs, concerts...

Instead of saying "You don't know anything," get specific.
Don't sidetrack, don't deflect. Tell me exactly what's wrong
in what I wrote.

AR platforms are chambered in just about every rifle
cartridge you can quickly name so, yes, for whichever game
animal you seek, an AR platform is out there, even rimfire.
(The only guys I know who go to Wyoming for elk and mountain
sheep use AR10 chambered .308 which is a different platform
altogether).

AR-15 are very well represented in target competitions and
have been for years. Because they win, or at least do not
impede skilled shooters.

Yes, we agree that, although people do discuss pistol vs
shotgun for home defense, almost no experienced person would
suggest an AR-15 carbine for that. Still and all, if that's
all there was at hand I'd prefer it to crying, or a rock.

And listing, then decrying modern firearm features generally
(which are also common to other modern platforms such as
AR-74, AR-10) is just plain dumb. It's as if I noted your
QR wheels and than called you a racer wannabe; 'What's up
tough guy can't use a wrench?'. Geez as if light weight
equipment is a nod to the devil.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/