Old August 18th 16, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
NY

Default The dangers of coasting downhill not in gear

"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 16:29, NY wrote:
My grandpa used to coast in neutral as he approached a junction, but
this was a wartime remedy that he never unlearned afterwards - right up
until his death in 1999.

A peaceful passing, I hope!

He carried on driving, with self-imposed limits like not in rush hour and
not going into the city centre, until well into his 90s. The last time I
rode with him as a passenger I was impressed that he got up to a reasonable
speed on the open road, rather than dawdling, and I felt completely safe.
Sadly he had a fall when he'd popped down the road to the shops, and that
marked the start of a gradual decline. He spent his final months, after he'd
left hospital for his injuries (broken wrists etc) in a very opulent nursing
home where they looked after him and made a fuss of him - and he let them do
it, whereas always before he'd been annoyed and embarrassed if anyone made a
fuss and did things for him. It's a shame he didn't quite achieve his goal
of living into the next millennium - he died on Boxing Day 1999.