Old June 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
Harris

Default Avocet tires on non-hook bead rims?

Frank Krygowski wrote:
I commute on an ancient (1972) road bike with non-hook-bead rims,
specifically, the wider Weinmann Concave rims. I think the rim model
number is A-129.

The rims are 27 inch size. Obviously, good quality tires 27" tires are
not as common as they once were.

A friend gave me an Avocet slick (the older generation) in the proper
size. Avocets are my favorite tire, but I can't recall if they demand
hook bead rims.

FWIW, it's held for about 15 miles, but I'd prefer to avoid rude
surprises. Anyone know if the tire's supposed to work on these rims?

Should be OK with if it's a wire bead tire. My wife's bike has those rims,
and we use Michelin 27 x 1-1/4" wire bead tires and don't push the
pressure too high.

Art Harris