Old April 24th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

Default Cycling at schools - bike size/saddle height

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:53:24 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:08:51 +0100 someone who may be Mark
wrote this:-

My daughter has recently done a cycling course, run by the LA, at
school. However, on the latest session, she was not allowed out on
the road because the organisers believed the bike was too big or the
saddle was too high. They told me that they were worried that she
could not stop safely and she might go over the handlebars when
braking!

Their criteria is that the child must be able to place *both* feet on
the ground whilst sitting on the saddle.

I had adjusted it (using the same system as I use for me) so that her
leg is just slightly bent when the peddle is at the bottom. She
clears the top tube when off the saddle with both feet on the ground.

I think that the council officials don't know what they are talking
about, which is not unusual with bikes. The only reason that I can
think of for putting both feet on the ground while sitting in the
saddle is to use the feet as not very effective brakes. Far better
to use the brakes, I assume that your daughter was able to operate
these effectively and thus come to a stop safely.

Yes, but she is not yet strong enough to lock the wheels under
braking.

As for going over the handlebars, is there a steady stream of people
riding bikes with drop handlebars doing this?

I don't think any of them have drop handlebars. Most kids have
Mountain bikes (I mean BSOs).

I would complain long and loud. Council officials are generally too
arrogant to admit they made a mistake, apologise and rectify the
problem they caused. However, they do sometimes secretly change
things after feedback.

Was this the last session, or are there more to come?

There are more to come, but I was told she would not be allowed to use
the same bike on the road.

I thought I was right, but it is good to make sure. I will be writing
a letter to the school or maybe the LA.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") I am blocking most articles posted from there.