Old September 6th 05, 11:50 AM
audrey

Default A Sustrans dilemma

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:09:50 GMT, tom wrote:

But that doesn't help the "now", in which we have a major initiative
giving Joe and Jane public the idea that cycles don't belong on roads.

I strongly disagree with this. I felt much more comfortable cycling on
roads after starting on off-road paths and it didn't give me the
impression that cycles don't belong on roads. How are Joe and Jane public
different from me?

Putting so much of the emphasis on off-road gentle scenic tracks,
which many people will arrive at by brining their bikes in their cars,
does absolutely 0 to encourage people to take up utility cycling
around town in place of car journeys.