Old February 17th 21, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default We're Melting!

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 4:11:48 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:

You're way ahead of Chicago where major arterials are plowed
in the traffic lanes only, other streets have a clear center
lane shared by cars going both ways. The rest is impassible
by bicycle with more snow coming. Where cars have been dug
out there are huge snowpiles in the street where bicycles
would normally ride.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

This is an accurate description of the situation in Chicago, where I've been commuting by METRA and folding bike for going on 19 years. I ride from Union Station to the UIC dental school, about 2 miles. The bike lanes are used as repositories for snow plowed off the traffic lanes. There hasn't been a whole lot of car traffic this week, but I've had to pull over to let the occasional car pass me. This would have been impossible without studded tires.
Steve