Old February 16th 06, 12:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Cooked front pannier

I had the MTB/Commuter on the bike beak this
weekend along with my wife's bike. I've done it
plenty of times before but this time, my right
front pannier was too close to the exhaust. When
we got home, smell of burning plastic/rubber and
one wrecked pannier. There was a rag inside the
pannier which was badly scaled - it looked like it
could have caught fire. Note that this was from the
fumes, there was no contact with the exhaust pipe
itself.

Made me think about what other damage the exhaust
could do if aimed at the wrong part of a bike (tire,
alloy rim, paint anywhere. Will be more careful
in future and there is *no way* I'm putting the CF
road bike on a beak, ever.

DeF.

--
e-mail: