Old May 25th 04, 11:23 PM
Patrick Herring

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

David Hansen wrote:

| On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:05:58 GMT someone who may be
| (Patrick Herring) wrote this:-
|
| But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
| road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
|
| What do you mean by security?
|
| If you mean safer from motorists the answer is no according to the
| figures. If you mean safer from muggers the answer is no, for fairly
| obvious reasons.

I meant a (physically) segregated cycle path is safe from
driver-mistakes, but not from other things like dropped obstacles etc.
Is there a ref for such paths being less safe than roads in the UK?

| separate lanes will get many more cycling
|
| So it is claimed.

It is traffic conditions that comes up most, in conversations I've
had, as the main reason for not starting cycling.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk