Old May 26th 04, 12:05 AM
Simon Brooke

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

in message , Patrick Herring
') wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

| On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:05:58 GMT someone who may be
| (Patrick Herring) wrote this:-
|
| But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
| road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security
| anyway).
|
| What do you mean by security?
|
| If you mean safer from motorists the answer is no according to the
| figures. If you mean safer from muggers the answer is no, for fairly
| obvious reasons.

I meant a (physically) segregated cycle path is safe from
driver-mistakes, but not from other things like dropped obstacles etc.
Is there a ref for such paths being less safe than roads in the UK?

Yes, plenty. Start from John Franklin's website:
URL:http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/infra/infra.html

He's the man who wrote Cyclecraft, the official Stationery Office guide
to cycling, so he knows what he's talking about.

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.