Old September 18th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 09:38:23 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:14:32 +0100
Bod wrote:
On 18/09/2018 09:43, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

cyclist deaths in particular remain stubbornly high, even as
average speeds, which affect road deaths, continue to decline. If
cars are much safer than 25 years ago, why are cyclist deaths
increasing, from 25 the previous year to 45 this past year?

Cars maybe safer for the occupants in a high speed crash but do they
reduce the number of low speed crashes? Very likely not because cars
are wider so reduce margins for error and all the stuff to protect
the occupants has got in the way of the driver's view. The width has
also taken away space for cyclists.

I can't argue with that, but many drivers are careless when passing

cyclists. I never have a problem with them when I'm in the car.
Also, when cycling, I've had many drivers who just pull out from
sideroads, seemingly oblivious to cyclists.

In the same way that many cyclists seem oblivious to traffic lights
and any rules in the highway code.

Lets be honest, there are idiots driving all forms of transport
whether it be bikes, motorbikes, cars, buses or trucks and they're not
going to change. The difference with cycling however is that you don't
even need to pass a test which at least for motorised vehicles keeps
the idiots down to a sane level. No so with pedal bikes.

The difference is that large lumps of metal can injury and kill much more
easily. HTH.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.