Old May 16th 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Cycling: almost actual science

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 7:11:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from
Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

Interesting. Cycling rates went way up (75%). Fatal crashes went down (1
to 0). Non-fatal crashes went up.

Non-fatal crashes went WAY up. Skip the sugarcoating, please. And fatal
crashes anywhere are rare as hen's teeth. Dropping from one to zero is
not in any way mathematically significant. It's regression to the mean.

From the photos, it appears that they cheaped out and did not do actual
protected bicycle lanes that prevent vehicle intrusion. They're using pop-up bollards spaced at intervals that allow vehicles to enter the
bike lane.

Ah yes, not safe enough!

The "Danger! Danger!" crowd said wide lanes were not safe enough, and
they demanded bike lane stripes. Then they said bike lane stripes were
not enough, and they demanded green paint. Now they're saying stripes
and green paint aren't safe enough, and they demand barrier separation.

Now Scharf is saying bollard barriers aren't safe enough.

Will a 30 foot tall solid concrete wall be sufficient? Trump seems to
think it will do the job for him. But if that border wall thing falls
through, maybe the disappointed contractors can get work doing kosher
bike lanes (i.e. never violated by the touch of car tires) in some
California town.

Why, if only ONE life can be saved, it will be worth the entire city
budget of Cupertino!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, I don't know where you're getting your information but from the US Dept of Transportation figures the pure numbers of fatalities and injuries of bicyclists hasn't changed since the 90's as far as I can see. There are year to year variations but on the average we have about 45,000 bicycle injuries a year and 775 deaths.

In the meantime, actual numbers of cyclists have skyrocketed.