Old May 17th 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Cycling: almost actual science

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 7:44:54 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/16/2019 6:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Bad traffic design is not the fault of the bicyclists. For instance - a couple of blocks from my home there is a bike lane that is directly on the right edge of a road in front of a shopping area. For an entire block people and particularly women, will come out of this parking area, across the sidewalk and into the bike lane. And MOST of the traffic flow is along that same area. Consequently I ride to the right of the middle lane which has enough lane width for passing if some jackass has the feeling that he must pass a bicycle when there is invariably a red light at the end of that block.

That sounds like the technique I'd use in that situation.

The local drivers are so stupid they have a hard time dealing with this - they're going to drive to the following corner and turn right. There is a completely open right hand lane. They will pull to the left, pass me then pull over two lanes into the right lane to turn right.

I suppose that this is something they are unfamiliar with so they don't know how to treat it but you would think that they would understand that the threats from people speeding out of the supermarket parking lot and the middle lane that I'm in turning into a bike lane the other side of the stop light might give them at least a clue.