Old February 26th 10, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

Default Charging points for cars but what about electric bicycles?

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:30:41 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

snip
Murad Qureshi, Labour's environment spokesman on the London Assembly,
said: "We have to be very careful not to get too carried away with
electric vehicles as a panacea for our transport woes.

"The mayor needs to do more to encourage people out of their
cars." ..."

Yeah sure! Instead we have electric car greenwash for petrol-heads
with a conscience..

So, we are being told that there is a real danger that we will see
power cuts in the not-too-distant future because successive
governments (well, mainly this shower since 1997) have not taken the
necessary decisions to ensure the power stations can meet the demand.
(It's largely irrelevant whether that should be done by managing the
supply or the demand, the effect is the same).

So now, apparently, we're going to shove lots of the transport power
requirements on to the power stations as well.
From a pollution viewpoint all it does, as far as I can see, is to
move the pollution out of the cities to the power stations, even if
the power stations can match the demand.

So why is it a good idea, Boris? I feel sure, as a dedicated cyclist,
Boris reads this NG. Boris, Boris, hello, Boris?