Old August 6th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

Default Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

"AMuzi" wrote in message
Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 6-8-2011 0:02, Frank Krygowski schreef:
Many years ago, the eminent British researcher Mayer Hillman pegged the
benefit-to-risk ratio for cycling at 20:1 in favor of cycling. His
estimate was based on calculations of years of life gained vs. years of
life lost for society as a whole. That included, for example,
pedestrians not killed by a car because the driver chose to cycle
instead of drive.

Last year de Hartog et.al. pegged the ratio at 9:1 in favor of cycling
in the Netherlands, and 7:1 in Britain, this time for just the cyclists
themselves. This did not account for things like fewer bystander deaths
due to air pollution, for example.

The latest paper gives even more optimistic estimates. A study of the
urban cyclist use of Barcelona's bike sharing system pegged that ratio
at 77 to 1 in favor of bicycling, for those replacing car trips with
bike trips.

A brief radio interview discussing this is at
http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/au...-too-dangerous

Warning: There is some slight mention of helmets - specifically, the
statement that none of the people in the study wore them; and that they
discourage riding.

This is consistent with data from London's and Dublin's and Paris's bike
share plans, with millions of users but no (or almost no) serious
injuries. (And OTOH there's Melbourne's, which requires helmets and thus
gets almost no use.)

The paper's free to download at
http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5293.full.pdf

Really, how safe does cycling have to be, and by how much do its
benefits have to exceed the tiny risk, before we say "Stop worrying.
It's safe enough"?

What does 7:1 etc mean? What is benefit to risk ratio?

It's a Bhutan thing.

I'm 7x more satisfied than the texting putz trying to run over me.

The laws appear to be totally meaningless -- I see as many or more people on
phones these days than I did before the law. What amazes me is the number
of people walking and talking, texting, apping, etc., etc. It seems like
everyone on the sidewalks downtown is on the phone. Who are they
talking/texting to? What is so important? I see asswipes on bikes talking
on the phone. I read some guy the riot act the other day who was riding
like a fool while talking on a cellphone. Incessant yakking has become the
new opiate of the masses. People are utterly afraid to shut up and listen
to themselves think these days.

-- Jay Beattie.