Old April 9th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default New Trek Pricing

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 20:13:49 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

Apple, whose phones, tablets, computers, etc are made
in China, describe them as "Designed in California".
I can't for a moment imagine they'd do that, and get
away with it, if it were not legal.
AJ

"Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'It's Not True That the iPhone is Not Made in the
United States'"
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/28/tim-cook-iphone-us-manufacturing/

"Where Is the iPhone Made?"
https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-the-iphone-made-1999503

"Made in USA"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_USA

"The Meaning of Made in U.S.A."
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44755.pdf

As near as I can tell, the only real importance to where something is
"made" is in the setting any import duties. If something were
actually made in the USA, sent to a foreign country for additional
work, and then returned to the USA, there would be no import duties on
the part made in the USA. It therefore pays to mark a product "Made
in U.S.A." As shown in the "The meaning of Made in U.S.A." document,
major parts of the FTC labeling guidelines are obsolete and in need of
revision. As near as I can tell from some quick reading, the only
item of importance is the country of origin inscribed on the shipping
manifests and customs papers, which are what sets the import duties.
How the manufacturer labels their products seems to be their business,
as long they don't try to claim that it's made in USA when it might be
customs fraud. In other words, "Designed in California" means nothing
to the customs people. "Made on Planet Earth" would probably be more
informative.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D