Old June 27th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Were Suntour TRIPLE pulley derailleurs only used with triplecranksets?

On 6/27/2019 6:55 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Looking at some old magazines and/or parts has me wondering about the Suntour Triple Pulley rear derailleurs. Were they designed to be used just with triple cranksets?

I suppose the idea behind that design was to have a short cage derailleur like performance when on the top two chainrings and then have that third pulley ake up the slack when using the inner third ring. I wonder why that design was dropped?

Cheers

Right.

Suntour had a hypercreativity problem in those years with
many just plain weird ideas (some of which worked out well.
But not all!)

The three-pulley XC used a standard spring/pivot from other
models with greater chain capacity. Works but not as well as
the competing 1984 Deore, albeit much better than anything
from Campagnolo in that era.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/