Old October 15th 03, 12:13 AM
John Hardt

Default Speedplay VS. Dura Ace????

On 10/14/03 5:20 PM, in article, "Mike Lana" wrote:

I do not recomend speedplay for those with limeted riding experience.
I trained about 60-100 miles per week four 4 years before I switched
to speedplays. I started gaining some bad habits because the float
allowed me to rotate my heel in. I had a major knee injury that ended
the season. Of course I was the one with the bad form but the pedals
allowed the range of movement . Since then I have stuck with Time(my
favorite but expensive) and Look pedals. They force me to have better
form. I have not had an injury since.
Good Luck
Mike

Huh? I'm not an orthopedist but I can tell you that I started riding using
speedplay pedals without any problems at all. After two years I switched to
(no float) SPDs and began experiencing knee pain almost immediately.

The only thing I didn't like about the speedplays was their giant cleat that
made walking (and transitions) ripe for ankle injuries. Now my compromise
is to use the speedplays on long rides and races where the float protects my
knees. I switch to SPDs for sprints where I'm one the bike for less than an
hour and being able to sprint through the transitions matters.

Just my $.02

John