Old August 22nd 03, 03:07 AM
Gemma Kernich

Default More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn?

"Suzy Jackson" wrote in message

Little holes? You mean there are instructions that come with cleats? My
god! I usually replace them when the front wears so thin that it breaks.
At the moment I'm using red ones, on account of having no black ones in

the
house when my last black ones wore through, the night before racing...

I haven't died so far, but then I'd hardly call myself a sprinter.

I find that by the time I've worn down to the bottom of the three indicator
holes I've also worn the back mating surface of the cleat down too from
making full use of the 'float' (look at your shoe from the rear where the
pedal tang mates with it). The cleat is held in a lot less securely when
this is worn down and there's more chance of pulling your foot unexpectadly.
I've only crashed because of this once but it was enough for me to pay more
attention to cleat wear!!! (buy 'em in bulk from www.probikekit.com

Gemma