Old October 18th 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default What is the case with belt drive?

AMuzi wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

We sold quite a few Bridgestone toothed-belt drive the last
time the fashion came around. Almost as good as a chain, but
with a bonus "my bike is special" factor.

chain, belt, whatever. Both systems have advantages and
disadvantages but I don't find belts compelling. If you do,
then by all means try one.

I understand that the latest iteration of carbon fiber reinforced
belts from Gates does not require as much static tension as previous
versions. This reduces drag and wear on both hub and bottom
bracket.

Seems like belt drive would be a good companion for a coaster brake,
airless tires, one-piece crank, etc. A bike equipped this way could
provide an unmatched degree of readiness.

Chalo