Old May 28th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Favorite biking snacks?

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 12:42:17 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2020 20:53:35 -0700 (PDT
Unlike Jay I still have all of my teeth.

And why do you think Jay doesn't have a full complement of teeth? He is an attorney. So I am guessing he makes at least the median US income. So he should be able to afford a dental insurance plan. He is an independent attorney, not employed by a firm. So he does have to purchase his own plan. But I assume there are insurance plans available to attorneys offices. So he is probably able to get dental insurance through work, sort of, if he cannot purchase a dental plan as an individual.

A serious question here. Can't the average USian afford dental care
without an insurance plan?
--
cheers,

John B.

Yes. Normal dental work, such as cleanings and simple cavities, are sort of low cost. So a person without dental insurance could afford to go to the dentist for usual care. But I suspect no one without insurance goes to the dentist. Unlike medical doctors, there are no emergency rooms for dentists. People without medical insurance turn up at the emergency room for care frequently whether they can pay or not. But with dentists, I don't think they will do dental surgery on you without insurance or the ability to pay.. Unlike medical where if you show up at the emergency room, they will treat you no matter whether you can pay or not.

I have priced dental insurance before. For twice a year cleaning and maintenance care, the cost to pay cash to the dentist is the same price as buying insurance for a whole year. So if you take care of your teeth by brushing, you can more or less eliminate the need for dental insurance. Total cost is still the same since you pay cash for the twice a year cleanings.