Old June 27th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Default Is Drillium Cool Again?

On 24 June, 13:37, jim beam wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:33:43 -0700, jim beam wrote:

someone wrote:
On 24 June, 00:55, RonSonic wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:52:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
Has drillium reached the age of retro cool?
Or is it not yet time for it to appear again?
I'm refitting an old bike and need to know whether to break out the drill press
and start jigging things.
The bar is higher now:
http://www.raydobbins.com/ebay/bike-...s_for_sale.htm
Got a couple hundred hours to spare?
Nice. Amazing he can sell it for that given the time and parts budget this thing
absorbed. But it's enough for him to afford to do another so it's probably
enough.

I don't even know who made my mongrel so we'll just let the thoroughbreds like
that be.
Components usually end up getting polished and/or lightened because of
crash damage. *Todays carbon parts will fetch a premiun in forty years
time because few will survive the crash damage.
eh? *that erroneously presumes it's as strong as traditional materials.
*in fact, quality cfrp is stronger. *thus it'll break less frequently,
not more.

We'll really have to see how it ages. My personal experience with carbon is
limited but favorable.

How well the stuff holds up for the general market will vary according to
application and the implementation of new breakrhroughs in cutting corners.

my cfrp commuter fork is 20 years old and is holding up just great.

What about those cracks by the tyre line, dont they count? I thought
that was a case for imminent failure. No steep downhillers have you?