Old July 1st 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Drillium Dude

Default Is Drillium Cool Again?

On Jun 28, 7:03*pm, someone wrote:
On 29 June, 01:48, Still Just Me...

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 02:15:14 -0400, RonSonic

wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__0_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__1_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__2_.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...a_1970__3_.jpg

More sweet stuff. Thanks Jobst and Lee.

Yeah, this stuff is cool ... still. Probably never be a mainstream look again,
but as a functional folk art it's somewhere between rat rods and wooden boats.

Like the previous, this stuff goes past practical, to static artwork.

Drillium is very nice when the part retains functionality. When you
pass that point, it's only interesting.

Functionality does not need to be ugly. *I'm all for art and function,
but not art without function. *Exceptions for purely entertainment
purposes are not discouraged. *I dislike the destruction of
componentry of good artistic merit, such as the nouvo record rear
mech, with the pretense that the component is artistically improved
whilst retaining functionality. *Most of those drilled mechs I have
seen listed here are poor examples of the art which have destroyed
otherwise good equipment. *The nouvo record is the perfect mech for
half step setup of whichn o modern mech can challenge. *Please pick
ugly equipment to practise the art. *Something that can only be
improved.- Hide quoted text -

I have to ask: what exactly IS art? When you aver that that you don't
agree with art without function, what are we to make of classic
paintings or sculptures - or any other inanimate object created by
man? Are they only art if they serve a function? No. They are art
in the mind of whomever appreciates them for the beauty they convey to
the beholder.

I'm sure the guy with the 22" chrome spinners regards his bling as art
- I don't happen to agree, but I won't begrudge him his opinion. Just
because a bicycle component has been modified past it's usefulness in
application likewise does not mean it hasn't become art to someone.
Fortunately, I myself only do that on the rare occasion - now, only if
I'm commissioned to do so. I personally like to do stuff that can
still be used for it's intended purpose, but as it's said, different
strokes for different folks.

It's an aesthetic thing the newer generations will just not
understand: the time, imagination and - most importantly, patience -
that goes into something like this makes it what it is in the final
analysis.

Trying to speak for one and all regarding what is art and what is not
is an absolute exercise in futility. Check out that Chevy V-8 lawn
ornament in front of the double-wide if you don't believe me...