Old April 7th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 08:34:41 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/7/2020 7:31 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:55:23 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your
typical adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts
or road debris.

Interesting. Maybe it's not within the realm of what you
consider typical adult bike tires, but the last half dozen
tandem tires I've replaced have all been the rear--and due to
cord showing on the center of the tread. My wife and I stand
to climb quite a lot, so that may be a factor in the wear.

Yes, that's right. And not only tandem rears. Some riders just
eat tires (and chain and brake pads and so on). You know who
you are.

Atypical, which is why tire designers leave you outliers out of
consideration.

Nice! I've always suspected I was an outlier, and now I've got
evidence!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA