Old November 23rd 08, 04:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 22, 5:25*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
I'm not saying you are lying, but the UK is NOT continental Europe,
and there seems to be a lot of resistance to the EU.

Is my friend lying?

I am saying you are confusing anecdotal data with useful statistical
data. *You quote anecdotes to support what you say, but my point in
pushing an anecdote back is to show you anecdotes don't realluy mean
much. *But you appear to rely on them. *"Here is a web log saying
someone thinks such and such, so that proves it!" *It doesn't.

I see, a definite connection. You live in Colombia, you need gated
communities, you live in the UK or Europe, you don't, and you live in
America, it's kind of in-between. In other words, the more civilized
the society is, the less need for gated communities. Never saw any in
Oslo or Canary Islands.

The need is perception over reality. *Not entirely unlike the need for
bike paths, in that respect.

So Economic Apartheid is not a reality in America. Funny, there's even
a book on the subject...

er, what? *I never said anything like that, so don't jump to such a
conclusion. *I said the /need/ for geted communities is largely one of
perception. *Which is nothing to do with economic apartheid.

You really do need to stop and read what people write, rather than just
ignoring what they write and printing something irrelevant you happen to
want to say as an "answer".

Perception is reality, and reality makes perception.

I'm sure you too have perceptions about life in Haiti, for example.