Old July 27th 04, 12:15 AM
Edward Dolan

Default Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote in message

"gcdoss" wrote in message
Hi All,
I entered the local senior Olympics and did my first training ride this
morning. I ran out of steam after 3 miles as I was pushing it pretty
hard.I'm entered in the 10K race on Aug. 7, so need to energize quick.
Problem is: I've been on a low carb diet for the last 14 months. I lost
70 lbs during the first 10 months and am just trying to hold the weight
I have now.
I have been eating about 85 carb grams a day but today proved I was
doing something wrong.
Do some of you that do a little racing have any advice on what can
energize a 70 year old guy for about 30 minutes? I don't want to start
gaining weight again so a real high carb diet is out of the question. I
did try an energy candy bar but got no help.
I am in fair shape as I ride my Tour Easy about 150 miles a week and do
another 30 or so on a mtn bike.
It's the fast push that drains me so I need to build up a reserve of
energy by race day.
I do have a wager on myself with an old friend that's just 67 years old
riding a road bike.
Hope to get some help.

Hey Jerry,
I lost about 60 pounds low carbing and found that with distance or
performance cycling I needed to do some carbing up in order to perform

well.

My guiding light in this arena is usually to be found on the weightlifting
newsgroup (although I haven't been there in at least a year, so who knows
where he is now). This article is likely to be helpful, but its geared
towards weight training - read it anyway, the concepts are the same.

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

If I were going to train for a short race like a 10K, I would be doing
intervals. In my experience there is no faster way to improve your cardio
fitness than intervals.

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on ARBR need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical training.

--
Ye Old Insult Maven

Ed Dolan - Minnesota