Old May 16th 14, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Tue, 13 May 2014 00:29:05 -0700 (PDT), Blackblade
wrote:

My idea of winning is convincing the most people of the validity of my arguments ... and pointing out the flaws in yours. What's your idea ?

Edward Dolan wrote:

My idea is to present common sense arguments about what trails are best suited for - and it sure as hell ain't mountain biking! I depend on how a normal person thinks and feels, not on what an Asshole mountain bikers like you thinks and feels.

But, as you've now admitted, you don't represent normal people at all. You only represent a tiny minority of 'serious' hikers who crave solitude and for whom laughter, companionship and fun are anathema.

Are they "serious" I tend to view serious walkers as those who are

required to walk as part of their daily life. I would classify Dolan
and his ilk as "frivolous walkers", those who toddle about because it
is "fun".

Sort of like the mountain bike enthusiast but without wheels :-)

I do believe that walking is the best exercise in the world, but not always so easy to do under all circumstances. I walk quite a bit in the winter when cycling is impossible (snow, ice and extreme cold), but I much prefer to ride my bicycles the rest of the year. I consider all recreational hikers to be serious hikers provided they want to experience nature and wilderness values in as direct and simple a way as possible. Just walking around town has naught to do with that. They are walkers, not hikers.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great