Old January 15th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Add on mudflaps - any ideas ?

wrote:
Dont know if anyone can advise - Ive got a Dawes Sardar (26" wheel
tourer) which I use for daily commuting - its got chromoplastic (SKS
cheap copies) mudguards, however the front doesnt have a mudflap.

Any ideas where I can get these as extras - mudguards are quite wide,
as tyres are 1.5 width.

I made a front one from a PET (pop) bottle and a single rivet. It
relies on being folded in behind the stays on both sides. If it comes
out from these it flaps above 20mph

http://delap.org/images/mudflap1.gif and
http://delap.org/images/mudflap2.gif

I have trimmed the sides further since the photos. Back flap is a
plastic salad cream bottle. This is rigid enough to be solid with just
a single rivet.

Home made mudguards can be longer than most commercial ones. Hand for
trailers

best wishes
james