Old January 6th 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
Folks who go cycling without wearing SOMETHING on their heads
look like the jerks and dorks that they are.

Like these folks?

[...]

Admittedly, there's room for differences in aesthetic taste. But to
me, the guys who think they look good with a day-glo styrofoam squid
strapped to their head are generally a lot dorkier.

I admit, I don't know anything about how Edward Dolan looks. But we
have evidence that he's damned intolerant, and more than a little
ignorant.

I gave up on the esthetics of bike helmets years ago. They are designed with
racers in mind, not tourists like myself.

I like to wear the kind of helmets that are designed for horse riders. I
think they look quite elegant, they fit nicely and they are not expensive.
What is not to like about them? However, I think they will only work for
recumbent cyclists, not upright cyclists.

I maintain that you have to wear something on your head when you go cycling.
Therefore, it might as well be some kind of helmet.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. Yes, I am intolerant of the kind of ignorance that is daily displayed on
Usenet.