Old August 19th 19, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 11:54:07 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 13:46:11 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

The missing tool is an 8mm socket with common 1/4in drive stub on the
back, useful for changing gears on a Rohloff HGB if the cable breaks,
which hasn't happened to me in ten years, nor to anyone I know, but
better to be prepared.

If you remove the 8mm socket from your tool kit, the Rohloff gear hub
will surely break. I've never torn apart a Rohloff hub, but I suspect
that you really don't want to rebuild the hub during a ride or race.

Rohloff provides all the necessary information, but for most people it makes more sense to return the hub to Germany.

My problem is actually too much leverage rather than too little. My
bike is steel, not plastic, but 2-6Nm torque ratings abound, and the
more expensive the component, the lower the permitted torque. There's
even one oil-retention stud with a torque rating of 0.5Nm, I kid you
not. I do it up finger-high, which is probably already 2Nm.

You could add a torque wrench or torque indicator to your tool kit. I
have a good feel for how much torque is necessary and is being
applied. However, many people do not, due to arthritis or peripheral
neuropathy in the finger tips. I suppose a torque wrench would help:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Drive-Bike-Torque-Wrench-Spanner-Set-Hex-Star-Bit-Fixing-Tool-2-14Nm/183791045377
AFAIK, nobody makes a bicycle tool that includes a torque wrench.

I have two torque wrenches in my bicycle kit, and several others in other toolkits. The two bicycle ones are a small bicycle specific model, BBB BT-73 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...-73&cat=direct -- same as your recommendation right down to the box on your example because the current BBB box is more recent -- and a big old truck-type that I used on my vintage Bentleys and which is good for fixing on bicycle cranks, 30Nm by brushing it with your pinky.

...death, and other inconveniences.

Heh-heh!

--
Jeff Liebermann