Old May 29th 20, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default What’s smug and deserves to be decapitated?

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5:31:40 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 9:24:47 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Rod Liddle has to be a real second rater, though. It was well over a
decade ago that Matthew Parris wrote 'the most complained about story
of the year'. His article in The Times in which he suggested piano
wire should be strung across country lanes to decapitate cyclists
prompted almost 600 protests to the Press Complaints Commission.

How come nearly all of these "string up cyclists" merchants are pasty, whey-faced obese white men?
They must hate people thinner and happier than them so much that they want to kill and seriously
injure them. I feel sorry for them.

I have reached that same conclusion. The problem "string up cyclists"
merchants have with cyclists is really their problem, not mine. It
transpires that this Rod Liddle guy, who wrote a few days ago that he
finds it 'tempting' to stretch piano wire across the road to target
cyclists, has past form in expressing his animosity to cyclists. This
includes a The Spectator article he wrote in which he came out with:

Like many people, I am worried that too few cyclists are being killed
on our roads each year... My concern is that if killing cyclists is no
longer allowable in a free country, then it is the thin end of the
wedge and it may be that, down the line, cycling will become an
'acceptable' pursuit for normal people.

Unquote

What would be the point in trying to explain you are a responsible
cyclist to someone like that? I think you have it spot on with people
who take their cyclist hatred to such extremes - feel sorry for them.

Me too - there used to be troll called "Mr Cheerful" here who used to delight in posting stories where young cyclists were killed by cars. There are some sick people about for sure.