Old October 24th 20, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Handlebar bags

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 20:42:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/23/2020 7:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:02:50 -0700, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 10/22/2020 3:52 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:27:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

Strange aerodynamics as the writer states that the bag makes him
"consistently 2-4 mph faster on the steep downhills", but apparently
not at other times??

Pack it full of rocks, I can almost guarantee you'll go downhill faster.
... and not go faster at other times.
Mark J.

Yes, I hadn't thought of that. But Hey! An excuse for yet another
bicycle - a "Downhill Bike" - perhaps with a lead frame?

We once had a club member nicknamed "Downhill Dick." He was quite portly
and joked about his "aerobelly." And he was indeed fast on downhills.

But aerodynamic features can make a difference, and it is most
noticeable when coasting. I've mentioned before my tour with a friend of
identical weight on practically identical bikes, carrying identical
loads in our panniers. The only significant differences were that he was
about 6" shorter than me (which should have been a coasting advantage)
and I was using Specialized Tailwind panniers vs. his square profile
Cannondale bags. I easily and markedly outcoasted him on every hill.

Magic bags? Buy Our Bags and coast faster?
--
Cheers,

John B.