Old November 9th 04, 05:21 PM
Ravi

Maggie wrote:
Dan Daniel wrote in message . ..

When it comes to bikes in bike shops (not WalMarts, etc.!), there

isn't a huge difference in quality levels for money paid.

Hey whatsamatta with a Walmart bike when you first start out? I just
started riding again and I have no clue if I will keep biking or if
the bike will end up hanging in the shed rusting with my roller
blades. I like riding it and if I continue I will purchase a better
quality bike. If I realize this is not for me, I have only invested 70
dollars. I have a lot to learn about cycling. (I realize that from
being in this newsgroup.) My Walmart bike may take me on to bigger and

i had the same logic for a while. But, like Claire said - it is the
first experience - so it should be more comfortable. Because of the
equipment issue, you should not dislike (and discontinue) doing a
certain activity.

better alternatives:

1. Rent and try it out (rentals are usually cheap). And some of the bike
shops, will let you apply the rental fee towards a purchase of a bike -
if you rent for over the weekend, you would get even better deals.

2. Get a used one - for this you need to get the help of someone who is
knowlegdeable - you can do your own research and find out what kind of
bike you want to ride and the specifications. Once you have the
specifications, you can start hunting for used ones - at garage sales,
craigslist etc. When you buy a new one, you can use your old used bike
as a beater bike. you can also look for deals at bike rental places on
used bikes.

*Mart bikes because it is not fit properly, can endup hurting. There are
lots of info why *Mart bikes are not good - not even for dry runs. There
has been accidents because of sub-standard parts in *Mart bikes.

+ravi

better things. (I hope :-) When you first start I think you should
just find a cheap bike or borrow one. See if cycling is right for you
first. http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/