Old September 14th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Another woman mown down by a cyclist (her death announced14/09/17)

On 14/09/2017 12:52, Nick wrote:
On 14/09/2017 12:47, JNugent wrote:
On 14/09/2017 12:37, Nick wrote:

On 14/09/2017 12:25, JNugent wrote:

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1
meter from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking
or giving any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford
Street, with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

In what way is that different from the scenario I suggest?

Are you seriously trying to say that you don't know and cannot see the
difference?

Yes that is why I asked the question.
The scenario I outline appears to be not inconsistent with the witness
evidence you quote.

It is totally inconsistent.

When you are turning from thoroughfare A into thoroughfare B, you are
obliged to wait whilst any pedestrian crossing thoroughfare B has
crossed. The reports of what witnesses (at least two) said show that
this was the correct scenario here.

The scenario "She just stepped out into the road" (what we might call
"the Alliston defence") is therefore not relevant.

We will have to wait for a more precise description to know what
actually happened.

Indeed. But it isn't likely that the witnesses are lying or mistaken as
to what happened.